wpe3.gif (1599 bytes)Wallace Environmental Testing Labs, Inc.

Home Up Feedback Contents Search


Automotive Emission Testing Specialists

Vehicle Import Specialists


Home Up


The EPA is responsible for issues related to the engine exhaust emissions (pollution) of vehicles sold or imported into the US.  In order to import a non-conforming vehicle, you must be designated as an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI) with the EPA.  WETL holds numerous certificates of conformity and is designated as an ICI.  While EPA does not have a list of ICI's online, we have provided a link to the EPA Regulations and the actual text of the requirements.  WETL has been an ICI since 1988 when the program was initiated.  In order for an ICI to import a vehicle which is six years of age, or newer, we must have a certificate on the specific engine family and year model vehicle.  We can import (by law) any vehicle over six years old.  However, some vehicles are cost prohibitive due to the modifications required.  Vehicles produced after 1996 are especially difficult and costly due to Onboard Diagnostic requirements.  In addition to the modifications, EPA requires the vehicle undergo the federal testing procedures to provide proof of conformance.  These procedures are extremely sensitive and the standards are stringent.

Send mail to webmaster@wallacelab.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: June 30, 2000